Saturday, August 11, 2012

Four favorite things in the kitchen

In the lead up to a few kitchen updates soon to be in progress, I thought I would share my four favorite things in the kitchen, that are making the cut, and defining the 'look'.

1. I love my Typhoon retro storage tins. The bread bin is used for storing all of my packet mixes for puddings, sauces and recipe bases. I think the other three speak for themselves... And the sign, that is actually only placed there to hide the ugly power outlet that sits just behind the tins. The sign was purchased at Farmers and  I purchased the entire storage container set on TradeMe* for $18.50! A good bargain if I say so myself. Here are links for stockists in NZ and the US.


2. I love this rustic key holder that the hubs made. It is convenient in the kitchen as the first thing we do when we get home is usually put the jug on for a cup of tea! The hubs and I don't agree which key looks best in the frame, so I have included a pic of my choice below.


I think this old antique key suits the rustic frame, and hubs thinks the stainless key stands out a bit better. Which one do you like?


3. The next on the list is this recipe holder, another Trade Me* purchase! It came with a gorgeous Gordon Ramsey cook book which I gifted to my brother as he has a wee collection of Mr Ramsey's cookbooks.
4. Last but not least is this simple antique loaf tin that sits on the window sill. I added the blackboard paint label, and I will share a tutorial of how I did this without any sort of vinyl cut or purchased stencil. I love having this in the kitchen, because it stores all of those itty bitty odds and ends that have no real 'home'.

So there you have it... four favorite things from the kitchen... and before I leave, here is a 'before' of the first area I plan on tackling in my kitchen upgrades. My spices sit in that rack on the bench, taking up valuable limited bench space. I can't wait to add a magnetic spice rack, which will conveniently live on the side of the fridge.

I will be aiming for something similar to this above. Can not wait!

*TradeMe is an online trading website, which I use way too much!! I will post a Trade Me house tour in coming weeks to show you just how much I am addicted.

linking with

13 comments:

  1. I love the old rustic key, it completes the whole rustic look. It totally looks like it belongs there!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Totally Pinworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rustic key, and I love your storage tins too. Those magnetic spice tins are a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan and I both love the rustic key, but we are partial to old rusty things :)
    New followers, Francine & Nate
    Ethereal PLUS what I Love
    &
    Nates necessities
    http://natebaileysnecessities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys - I think we have a winner on the rustic key :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the key & the tins!
    simply fabulous ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! It's nice to meet and follow you! I loooove those tins you have! They are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing



    Hope you'll visit me too!


    Ciao Bella
    Sensible Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome :)
    lovely blog.
    Following your blog. follower#20

    hope you will visit & follow my blog.
    http://beautydrugs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I love those retro storage tins! And I just up the post about the magnetic spice rack we put up on the inside of a cabinet door and it is soooo amazing! We love it :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks jessi! Hopefully I will be linking up with the finished project next week! I bought so many spice tins I am going to need to go spice shopping haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing this post at my Say G'Day Saturday linky party. I just shared this post on Google+ and pinned it too. I love those tins!

    Best wishes and hope you have a great weekend!
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of these items! Would love to have any of them!

    ReplyDelete