Saturday, September 1, 2012

Easy DIY Tin Caddy


I whipped up this simple tin caddy this morning. I have been saving these three tins for this little project for such a long time so I am glad I have finally done it!

I knew I wanted to attach three tins to a piece of wood. I will be doing another one of these in the future with three cans on each side for the kidlies but this one is for me. I tried to nail the cans on but it was rather awkward with my humongous hammer - I need a girly hammer!! Anyhow, I didn't think hot glue would hold, but it is what I ended up using and it is working a treat so far!!

Here's what it looked  like before...


I could quite easily have left it like this and been happy with it, but I decided to experiment with some kitchen string and PVA craft glue. I found it was easier to apply the glue as a stencil and then stick the string on top. I used a pencil to push the string firmly onto the wood, as my fingertip was too sticky and kept peeling the string off. Here's a progress shot:


And once again the finished project:


I quite like the string text and I will definitely be using the same technique again!


Thanks for stopping by!

linking with:

12 comments:

  1. Great idea, the PGA did a really good job with the lettering

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love recycled items put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex... I just made one of these myself and I used short screws to screw the cans to the wood. If you put a long screwdriver extension on the drill it reached inside the cans without a problem. Yours looks great!
    Susan
    Homeroad.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for the tip - I might try this as a reinforcement!

      Delete
  4. Cute! I've been saving my tin cans for just something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and handy with the added whimsey of the string title. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome! New follower from the bloghop!
    http://pjgraves51.blogspot.com
    http://sewmuchclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got tons of "stuff" and this would be perfect for corralling it all!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Looking over your other posts-I love your style! I'm your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing at It's Overflowing!

    XO, Aimee
    http://www.itsoverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute, I love the string title! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete